SA Travel Diaries: Guru Ram Rai Darbar, Dehra Dun by Aditi Joshi

Guru Ram Rai Darbar in 1858
From the very early years of my life, I have been exposed to all the diverse cultures of India. However, Sikhism has always, somehow, formed a greater part of the influence. Be it my ancestral village, my paternal house or even my current abode in Dehra, I've always been surrounded by a Gurudwara with the blessings of the Guru upon me.

My December task (which if I recall correctly, was on regional archaeology) was to write on the Guru Ram Rai Darbar from a historical point of view and archaeological observations.

Now the beauty of living in Dehra lies in the fact that once you start exploring the winding lanes, you cannot escape from leaving any place undiscovered. This served me well when I had to pen down my essay for this holy place.  

Shri Guru Ram Rai Darbar Sahib in Dehradun is a philanthropic organization of the Udaseen sect . Sri Guru Ram Rai ji, the eldest son of the seventh Guru of the Sikhs- Sri Har Rai ji, had established it for protecting and spreading the traditions, ideals and philosophies of Hinduism Dehradun owes its name and history to the emergence of Sri Guru Ram Rai ji who came to this then small , green Arcadian abode way back in 1676. He established his ‘ Dera ‘ in Doon Valley which later became popular as ‘Dehra Dun’ During the reigns of Aurangzeb , the doon valley was Guru Maharajji’s property. The Britishers could enter it only after taking permission from the Darbar Sahib. Darbar Sahib still owns a large part of this property. 

Sadly, I was not allowed to take pictures inside the Darbar's main building. Tradition certainly gets the better of technology here!

Once inside the premises, a kindly gentleman offered to help me around. He was a follower of Sikhism (one of the major religions in India) and seeing my blank face (which was due to the chill of the winter) showered his generosity over me. On coming to know that I belonged to Nanakmatta (a town in the state of Uttrakhand, most notable for its association with Guru Nanak and the famous Gurudwara), the gentleman seemed ecstatic. However, we could not interact for a greater part of my time in the Darbar as his grand daughter arrived a few minutes later to take back her "Dadaa".

I watched my old friend (literally!) retreat and proceeded to offer my prayers. Now my favourite part of visiting a Gurudwara (be it in Nanakmatta or anywhere) is the tank for cleaning the feet at the entrance and the "halwa" which is served as a "prasad".

After circumambulating the temple premises, I sat down under one of the trees and started devouring the rich, sweet delicacy. It was truly the food of the Almighty!

I sat there for a while before retiring back home for the day. The peace and austerity of the ambience sends the mind to a seventh heaven where all is bright and beautiful. The Darbar became my seventh heaven that day. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Vav Factor: Sevasi Vav, Vadodra by Ramyani Sengupta

Writing Gender History: A Speaking Archaeologically Task that became more difficult than it seemed

Understanding Coinage of the Past: Indo Greek Coins by Dr. Osmund Bopearachchi: A Lecture Review by Kajal Bawa