SA Travel Diaries: Tapkeshwar Mahadev Temple, Dehra Dun by Aditi Joshi

The Main Temple Premise
The week following the Diwali break was all about books, delicacies, long drives and visiting sites! Being a Doonite, I had very enthusiastically offered to cover one of the most auspicious sites in the town: The temple of Tapkeshwar Mahadev.
The temple holds significance as one of the oldest Shiva ling is in the cave nearby where the river enters and water drops drip down on the Shiva ling (there by its name "Tap-keshwar"). The water that drops down vanishes underground and can be seen only few yards away in the form of a stream. The temple premises hold many cool sulphur-water springs where devoted pilgrims take bath before entering the temple. The small cave with this splendid scenery is said to be once resided by Dronacharya- the teacher of Pandavas and Kauravas in Hindu holy epic Mahabharata written by Ved Vyas. The cave is named Drona Cave after him.

Drona Cave
There is a saying that "If the stars and deities wish it, you are lucky to worship them". Well, I'm assuming the Lord wanted to test my dedication or loved me enough to make sure I visited the temple almost every day. Bless my stars!

It all began the day preceding Diwali. Being home after a long time got me all worked up and extra enthusiastic than my usual self. Instead of reasoning out with my dad, I decided to go to the site around evening. Except that I forgot the one tiny detail: it was Diwali the next day and the temple hosted pujas for one of the biggest festive celebrations. Now, I did try to fight my way through the throngs but all in vain. Back home, my mother (being herself) started worrying about me and facing poor mobile connectivity could not contact me.

Failing in my endeavour, I made my peace by offering my prayers to Mahadev and ensured another meeting under his blessings. However, if you happen to be a young girl from a protective household and decide to arrive home after dusk (no matter what the reason be), well then your mother has a lot to say about the whole matter. While my father was excited about the evening prayers I witnessed, my mother nudged him reproachfully (and unknowingly recreated the version of Molly and Arthur Weasley from The Chamber of Secrets!). Having earned my share of wise teachings, I sheepishly went to my room, only to come out and scramble around the household in a successful attempt to make Rangoli.

Rangoli: A Diwali Tradition
The next day being Diwali, I was busy as a bee. The decorations, guests and getting dolled up consumed a greater part of the day. Now Diwali happens to be one of the important festival of the Hindus in India. This festival of light is symbolic of the victory of good over evil. It was on this day that Lord Ram returned to Ayodhya after completing his exile of fourteen years and destroying the demon king Ravan. In his honour, the people of Ayodhya lit earthen lamps and gave birth to this beautiful tradition. The festival preparations and rituals typically extend over a five-day period, but the main festival night of Diwali coincides with the darkest, new moon night of the Hindu Lunisolar month "Karthik". Prayers are offered on this day for the well being and good fortune of the clans.

Next day, finally, my dad took me to the temple. The priest was more than happy to show me around and took me to the innermost caves. He was sweet enough to answer all my queries and  offered for me to watch the evening aarti. This was more than one could ask for! I watched this dedicated, aged man performing the rites, beginning from the bathing and decorations to feeding the people outside (a true devout indeed!)
The Shiva Ling of Tapkeshwar
I quenched my devotion  by taking ample of pictures of the beautiful temple.

It is a surprise all the things that we take for granted. Sitting on the steps and watching the stream gurgle past, I realised that there could be no better place than this. And indeed it was! The air was high with the enchanting fragrance of the woods mingled with that of the incense along with the sweet scent of the wet mud. There was a certain romance in the moment.

I could sit there all day! It is as they say that the beauty of all things lies in their transitive nature and the time had come for me to climb the steps and leave this perfect creation of the nature. Deep down in my heart I carry the memory with me  because "memories are the timeless treasures of the heart!"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Vav Factor: Sevasi Vav, Vadodra by Ramyani Sengupta

Writing Gender History: A Speaking Archaeologically Task that became more difficult than it seemed

Understanding Coinage of the Past: Indo Greek Coins by Dr. Osmund Bopearachchi: A Lecture Review by Kajal Bawa