Passion: A story about the love for Tunbridge Ware by Panelist Lyn Pease

Some pieces from Lyn's Private Collection
A passion, how does it begin?


My passion with Tunbridge Ware began when I was about 8 years old, and yes, that may be rather young to start appreciating craftsmanship, but then I had a very good mentor.  My Great Aunt Clara Shuell had a small collection of this lovely, intricate work and as I spent part of my summer holidays staying with her and my Uncle Jock at their home in Tunbridge Wells, Kent, I grew to love it as much as she did.

Lyn's Great Aunt Clara Shuell and Uncle Jock
If I was good, and I was in those days, I was allowed to open my Aunt’s display cabinet and take out her collection. Auntie would talk to me about how it was made and when she had bought the pieces.  She did tell me that one day her collection would be mine, but sadly that wasn’t to be, however, my own collection has been built on trying to find similar pieces so that I can connect back to this wonderful, kind lady.


My favourite day out, when I stayed with my Aunt, was a visit to the Tunbridge Wells
Tunbridge Wells from a Hot Air Balloon
Museum which still has an amazing collection of Tunbridge Ware, and I never tired of looking at all the exhibits, although I must admit I did veer off frequently to look at the wonderful Georgian Dolls House complete with all the furniture and doll family!
Under the patronage of Queen Henrietta Maria in 1630, and then by King Charles II and his Consort after the Restoration of the Monarchy, Tunbridge Wells became a very popular Spa resort. The origins of the town are owed to the discovery of the Chalybeate Springs in 1606, the opening of The Spa, and the later building of The Pantiles around the Springs.

Tunbridge Ware appears to have been manufactured by small workshops in and around Tunbridge Wells as holiday souvenirs from as early as the 1630’s.Celia Fiennes, a connoisseur of Spas visited the Wells in 1697 and wrote about her experiences. She found rows of small shops around the steps of The Spring, selling the “curious wooden ware, which this place is noted for (the delicate, neate and thin ware of wood, both white and lignum vitae wood”.

Lyn (right) and her sister, Vickie
The Pantiles are still a wonderful hark back to the past, with the small shops still surrounding The Springs, and there is also a large Bandstand in the Centre of the Square. I remember being taken by my Aunt and Uncle in the summer, to listen to the bands playing there and dancing to their music. My strong memory of this is wearing black, shiny shoes, little white socks, a dress and of course, white gloves – well I was only 8 or 9 and this was a long time ago – but I did look cute!!!
I have also “taken the waters” of The Chalybeate Spring and can report that even though it may have beneficial health properties, it actually tastes foul due to the high iron content.
I have always enjoyed re-visiting Tunbridge Wells and walking around The Pantiles, reliving my childhood and the special times I had with my Aunt and Uncle.  I hope you enjoy reading this article as much as I have enjoyed reminiscing about happy days.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Vav Factor: Sevasi Vav, Vadodra by Ramyani Sengupta

Writing Gender History: A Speaking Archaeologically Task that became more difficult than it seemed

Understanding Coinage of the Past: Indo Greek Coins by Dr. Osmund Bopearachchi: A Lecture Review by Kajal Bawa