Skhédios2019: An Illustration Competition as experienced by Priyanshu Mehta

So far you have read posts on Site visits, Site covers, Restoration Projects, Interesting Workshops, Stone Tools, History, Sculptures and what not. So tell me, what not? What's the one thing that SA hasn't associated itself with, yet? What else have you not read about here? We've covered architecture, artifacts and paintings but what's new this time? Till date, Speaking Archaeologically has been providing you with the artworks of the old masters but this time it is the artistic insight of the young minds.

On a Sunshiny Sunday Morning of March 24th, SA organized an Illustration competition under the name of "Skhédíos 2019" and just a few days before that, I thought that I must also participate because how difficult could it be? I've drawn site plans before and I've enjoyed it. But believe me, putting those aesthetic sculptures down on paper is just as difficult as sculpting one, if not more.

All the 11 young artists and me, were asked to choose the subject matters for their piece of art. So while everyone was searching high and low to find their perfect subject, I went to the Gandhara Art Section, found myself a Headless and ruined work of art, and got into the task because Torso was easier for a newbie like me and I was also much relieved as Shriya had informed us all earlier in the introductory session that Archaeological Illustrations are not about artist's impression of the subject but observations, and because I am not an artist, and Observing is just another natural phenomenon that I've been practicing since the year 1997, it was my only chance.

From the intricate Metal Sculptures to the exquisite Stone Figurines, everyone worked their way through the Skhédios and using all the different kind of tools they possessed, every other participant drew illustrations with all the beauty their pencils carried and their mind could collect. Pardon me but you're reading this blog from the perspective of someone who's completely novice and is just another curious student, therefore, to me, each and every artwork was a masterpiece. Skhédios2019 was one delightful initiative just not because it helped the Art students in identifying the scopes of their talent in the field of Archaeology but also the hidden Archaeologist inside them.

And now that we have reached the end, I hope you enjoyed the birth story of another recent Wing of Speaking Archaeologically (The Art Wing) and how Skhédios served as an activating agent here. For Trivia facts, I didn't clear the Preliminary round but a few talented ones did. They made it to the Final Round that was set up at the Bhima Devi Temple in Pinjore and of-course the worthy ones won. The reason why I called it a trivia is because it doesn't matter you win or lose if you've been able to learn something in the process.

Throughout this blog there has been no Archaeological Jargon. I kept it simple because that is what Art is - simple, yet not easy. And I will end this blog here with a few beautiful illustrations from the Preliminary Round of Skhédios2019, as I didn't make it to the Final, because sorry, I underestimated the Sculptures and overestimated my sketching skills.








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Vav Factor: Sevasi Vav, Vadodra by Ramyani Sengupta

Writing Gender History: A Speaking Archaeologically Task that became more difficult than it seemed

Understanding Coinage of the Past: Indo Greek Coins by Dr. Osmund Bopearachchi: A Lecture Review by Kajal Bawa